When our kids were little, after every Christmas or birthday party, My Hero would look around and groan. There was always “some assembly required”. That’s where I’m at right now.
I finished knitting the Vancouver sweater a couple hours ago. Feel free to take a big breath. The steeking is done. First I marked the armholes and the center front. Then the sewing began.
After measuring the sleeve, I marked the underarm with some green yarn. Then I sewed a line two stitches to the left and right of the yarn. I sewed a second time, using a very small zig zag. Then the scissors came out.
I cut down the middle, between the rows of stitching. It’s not near as bad as it sounds.
I then bound off the shoulders with a three needle bindoff. I just think that looks the neatest. The rest of the sweater looks pretty ratty right now. See all that lovely mess? That will all be trimmed and covered by a facing. And I haven’t buried any of the ends yet either.
I need to knit small bands on the center front and do the collar. The sleeves need to be put in. The bottom edge is turned up to form a hem. Oh, and I need to put in a zipper. That will be a first.
I’m so relieved to be finished with the knitting. I almost gave up yesterday after I realized I had to rip out 2 days worth of knitting. Late last night, I finally figured out the mistake, and it was mine, not the pattern. There is a knit 2, purl 2 rib about 5 inches wide under the arms. It’s discontinued about where the sleeves go in. Above that rib, there are two rows of decreases, and I only did one, so there were 10 extra stitches in the front and 10 in the back. It won’t be a problem at all, because My Hero has broad shoulders. What that did do was make the center steek bind off 10 stitches to the left of center.
So, tomorrow is Some Assembly Required! Hopefully we can do model shots by the end of the day!
I’m going to bed!