I have my first project off the monster loom. I posted about the big loom I purchased here. I’ve been so busy, I haven’t taken time to do much weaving. I started a rug in October. It should have taken about a day, but then life got busy.
A couple of days ago, I headed for the sewing room to sew together more strips of fabric for the rug. I’ve been weaving just a little bit each day. Last night I decided it was time to stick to it and get it done. I finished weaving, cut it off the loom, hemmed it, and washed and dried it.
Yep, that’s a nice mistake you see right in the middle. Oh, well! I think the reason I wasn’t very excited about finishing it was that I have nowhere to put it. The warp is cream and pink and the strips of fabric I used for the weft is lavender. I chose this fabric because I had an entire bolt of it that I’d tried and failed to sell multiple times on ebay.
Now that I know what I’m doing, I can definitely see the possibilities of rugs I’d actually use. It ended up being over 5 feet long. I wish I’d measured it before I threw it in the wash, so I knew what I was dealing with for shrinkage.
I really like the way the hem looks. That probably makes me the most happy.
I had to get this project done, because I’m converting the loom to a countermarch system. Don’t feel bad. I don’t know what that means either. Yet! The Genius is going to be home in a few days, and I’m counting on her to be the brains in this operation.
And now I’m off to finish a spinning project. The Genius needs a spinning wheel to use. It really is the only way some of us stay sane in this crazy household!