Last week I did a post about my three day class at SOAR. If you need to go back and catch up, here it is. Go ahead! I’ll wait.
The last assignment we had in our Color class with Deb Menz was to choose our own colors. We had to use at least 12 colors. I ended up with at least 25 colors. I decided I wanted to do a rainbow gradient. Here are the 9 batts I ended up with after I blended all my colors.
Sorry for the lousy iPhone photo, but you get the idea.
I then split each of the 9 batts into four strips. I spun through each of the nine strips four times. What that means in plain English is that my gradient yarn is four repeats of the rainbow. Here are the skeins of yarn.
I finished them while I was still at SOAR and I’ll have to admit I spent a fair amount of time just petting them.
When I got home, they got a hot bath and as soon as they were dry, I wound them into one big cake.
Look! I made yarn that is a combination of Kauni and Noro. Then came the pattern search. I had over 1,000 yards, so there were lots of choices. I was initially thinking of doing something with entrelac, but then I found Shogun, a brand new pattern by Kieran Foley. I was immediately in love!
It took me a little while to get in the rhythm of the pattern, but now I love it. I thought the zig zag rows of dropped stitches was really cool, although it was scary to drop those stitches the first time. What sane knitter drops stitches on purpose?
The other thing I love about this yarn is the black I blended in the batts. I think it adds interest and depth. The only thing I don’t love is knitting with singles yarn. I really prefer plied yarn.
So…..remember these two balls of yarn from the other post?
I decided to navajo ply these. If you’re not a spinner, all that means is I spun this single ply yarn again into a three ply yarn.
An afternoon of NASCAR gave me this:
The pattern is called Ziyal and it’s free! I did make a few changes. I cast on more stitches because I’m always hot and wanted a looser cowl. I did some increases after the last set of smocking stitches to make the ruffle. After it was finished, the top rolled out and ruffled really strangely on me, so I took apart the cast on edge (and that’s a pain!!!) and bound off every 3rd and 4th stitch together to make it tighter.
I’d model it, but I’m in my paint clothes. I’m going to finish painting the doors of the hutch today, so I can show it off next week. My parents are coming in eight days, so if I’m going to fool them into believing that I’m finally mature enough to keep my house in order, I need to get busy!!!!! I have a long
fool-the-parents to-do list!
Have a fabulous weekend, and may it include something crafty to feed your soul!!!